Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Online Networking- Interview with Rose Dempsey


Please tell us a bit about yourself? How long have you been with Avon?

I'm a mother, grandmother and great grandmother, originally from England and now living in SC, which I love.  I am disabled, and spend most of my time in bed, probably 90%, which is why my online presence is so important to me, as I am rarely able to work my business in the regular way. I've been with AVON since 2006, my intention being purely to get my on products at a discount, but the lady who signed me up mentioned that the car she was driving was the second she had bought out of her AVON money, and I thought, hmm, I can do that!


You mentioned on a post that you advertise particular products in a campaign. How do you decide which products to advertise and how do you advertise them?

I try to focus on products that AVON is featuring, or ones that I feel passionately about, and I do try to be broad, so that if someone is not a jewelry lover, I'm not posting all jewelry offers.  I try to gear my sales posts on FB boards to all kinds of people.  Usually I'll post a picture of an item with a description and the product number and page in the current brochure, and my e-rep site url.  I also post additional info about how to browse the brochures using the shop now button, and if there is a free shipping code available, I'll post that too.

I also noticed that you create You Tube videos! Wow! Was it difficult to learn how to create videos? How has this enhanced your business?

I'm learning the how to on that one!  I use youtube links from AVON itself, like the nail and eye how-tos to tie in to make up sales, and from other reps sometimes too, like the Make up Maven ones. My own youtube beginning is a powerpoint to video which I began learning how one evening and finished that initial (not very good) one that evening, but it was practice and I was playing with the effects and such. But it was fun too.  Some of my team are meeting with me and the lady who told me how I could do it (I'd seen something she had done) at Fuddrucker's to brainstorm and show them how to do it as well.

Which social networks do you use other than Facebook?

Facebook is my main one but I do have twitter, it just doesn't seem to do as well for me.  I attempted Pinterest, again it wasn't something I really had success with. The same team member who taught me the Powerpoint, she took part in a video interview on google hangout, and we are now trying to learn more about that realm as I can see it being very useful for team meetings, one-on-one trainings for reps who are far away.  I have the google+ already but somehow that never seemed to get off the ground for meas much as Facebook has.

Will you tell my readers the commissions that e-reps can make?


With direct delivery orders (orders shipped directly to your customers from AVON) through your AVON website, you have the opportunity to make 20%-40% commission.  The usual commission is a flat 20% until your reach President's Club, when it is a flat 25% for the next yearly cycle.

However AVON is currently running a promotion where representatives earn higher commissions by having more direct delivery orders each campaign.

If you serve 1 e-rep customer in a campaign you will earn 20%, if you have 2 e-rep direct delivery orders in the same campaign, that rises to 30% and 3 or more e-rep orders pushes you to 40% commission on all of the direct delivery orders in that campaign (on the non-fixed earnings items in that order).  The 20% comes off at the time the order is processed and shows in your account statement, but then at the close of that campaign , adjustments are done and you get an adjustment of the additional commission credited to your account.

You also mentioned you send customers who place a $50 order, you send them a gift set. Does that cut into your commissions even with Free Shipping codes? (Where do you find free shipping codes for everyday and not just special deals Avon offers on shipping?)

Yes and no, LOL.  So ... I have  a $50 order and I offer a gift set, sometimes it may be toiletries, sometimes jewelry, unless I have  a free shipping code for ANY size order, most are $10 minimum if you use FIRSTREP10.  That customer will have needed no code on that $50 order as it's more than $30. So a $9.99 Naturals set and  a lip balm form an outlet book will take me over the $10 to use the FIRSTREP10 code on the account I set up for them. If I have an ANY size order code, a $7.99 jewelry set is good.  I am always on the 40% commission right now, so my commission on that order would be between $10 and $20 depending if anything was fixed earnings. However, I also now have this additional order that will do 2 things - push my online orders up into another e-rep commission level, plus give em ADDITIONAL commission.

I only ever use AVON shipping codes, as when you browse the internet for them, many are associated with other reps, and you will lose that sale as that other rep will get the credit for them.  Better to visit your e-rep site once a day and see if, when you go to shop now, if there's a banner with a code for that day (like there is today, LOL), and then TELL EVERYONE about it, post on your social media with a link to your page, google for a graphic to draw attention to it, tell all your team members so that they can do the same!


We are all looking to have an online presence and would like to know how to build our Avon businesses online, what tips can you give us!

I do all the "wrong things" - they say don't talk politics or religion but I do along with animal rescue stuff, genealogy finds, silly posts, inspirational quotes and mundane daily things.  The people who get to know me know I am a REAL PERSON. However that does not mean to air dirty laundry or cuss on your profile, that definitely does not create a good impression.  We always need to remember that people will judge us by what they see, and if we look like trash then why would they want to buy from us or even associate  with us?  Even during political or religious debates, I respond with class.  And I've even gained new customers from people in those places.

I do tell people to set up a fan page for your business, you can post tips, the youtube how-tos, along with your ad postings, and post deals for your customers, plus interact with other business people that way.  Always keep that one very professional.

A big key factor is networking, especially with reps from other companies. Facebook no longer posts fan page updates on all of your likers pages if you have a not very active page.  I and some of my friends have begun visiting each others pages as often as we can, posting even a "Hi hope you're having a great day" comment and scrolling down to like some recent postings or comment on those also. That helps us and our businesses reach those who have stopped by and liked us in the past and maybe are no longer visiting the page regularly.

We also keep our eyes and ears open, if I see someone asking for a  La Bella Baskets rep, I'll respond with my friend's name and that she would love to help them as a customer, so in that way we also help each other.

I take part in some online events, I am currently in one that cost me $10 to do, but it began 13th January and runs through to 14th February.  I had done weekenders a couple of times before, and really hadn't had any luck with them.  Too many people trying to push everything they had, in the 2 days  that they were running.  This one has been much more laid back, I've been able to interact more not only with customers but also with other vendors, and been better able to plan what I want to feature or talk about each day.  We are only 2 main posts but can then comment on them to keep them revolving back up to the posts.  Through one day I commented with the various eye make up how-to flyers for different looks and a couple of youtube videos on a  post promoting our eye make up. Another day I focused on our kids items and explained a little about Tiny Tillia as a brand. But to me this has been a much nicer, more productive event, and netted me 3 orders totalling $78 in the first couple of days.

Another event that works well online is fundraising events, and for those I donate my regular 25% commission on all orders placed direct delivery using the fundraiser's code. This week alone, I have had $150 in fundraiser orders.  I love that weboffice keeps track of it and the amount I owe the organization, but as I have more than 3 orders, I will also make a little commission on each as well.


Thank you so much for taking the time! Please keep in touch and visit our blog often and we would love for you to make comments, suggestions and cheer us on!

You're welcome, happy to take the time, enjoyed it.  Here's to everyone's success

Rose :)

No comments:

Post a Comment